Contact Info

E-Mail : nandanbisht@gmail.com
Mobile : +91-9910477009

Friday, March 20, 2009

World's Fastest Ferry Service !

On 18th of March I happened to take my first ride on a ferry - the world's fastest ferry ride. I had gone on a branch visit to a place called Khasab which is located on the northern tip of Oman a day earlier. I flew to that place on the 17th and since return flights are only on alternate days I took the ferry service (which is daily) back to Muscat. 18th March also happens to be the day I was commissioned into the Indian Army in 1978. So it was a memorable day for both reasons. Actually ‘ferry’ is a misnomer because the vessel is more like a luxury cruise liner. It was a good experience for a first timer like me. The ship cruises at 48 knots per hour and sitting inside one does not feel as if one is travelling over water. The crew (nice looking ladies) keep feeding you throughout the five hour journey to Muscat and with music and TV programmes to keep oneself busy the journey was a pleasure. We left Khasab at 1100 hrs and docked at Sultan Qaboos Port at 1600 hrs. So I can now say that it took 31 years of service for me take my first boat ride. Following are some pics I took :
The ferry leaving a trail of froth on departure.
Crossing the Strait of Hormuz.
Ships at Sultan Qaboos Port.

No comments: