Contact Info

E-Mail : nandanbisht@gmail.com
Mobile : +91-9910477009

Friday, September 09, 2005

Promotion Interview

Hi Folks,
You all are aware that the interviews for promotion to AGM(P&S) were held at RBSB, Byculla on 03 Sep 2005. The heat and humidity of Mumbai was an unpleasant change after the cool climes that we are enjoying at Bangalore. Out of the six interviewees four were old and weary horses and two were fresh and "rearing to go" literally "gnawing at their bits in an effort to run". Well, enough of "horsy" talk. Congrats to my friend Toms for having run a good race (he used to call himself a tortoise earlier!!). I am sure he will have a new found spring in his step now. I was, however, thoroughly disappointed with the type of questions asked by the most learned members of the Board. This is not a case of "sour grapes" as I answered the howlers put to me quite well. I dont know about the others but here is a sampling of what I was asked :
1. What will you do if your RD is taken hostage ? ( I will also become a hostage sir !)
2. You have worked at Guwahati office (that was 5 years ago - my lord !!) so why did you not initiate a note regarding protection to be provided to the senior officers who venture out on duty ? ( senior officers were so shit scared that they did not even move within the city, what to talk of leaving Guwahati)
3. Is Delhi office secure ? (the hell you say !!)
4. In an earthquake how will you evacuate the building ? ( stay indoors, of course)
5. How many entry/exit points are there at RBI, New Delhi ? (innumerable)
6. You have done so and so course - how has it benefitted you ? (what benefit - I went along just to have a well deserved break man)
7. Did you give feedback on so and so course ? (no I did not)
The questions which followed the responses were simply outrageous. (In an earthquake you are supposed to ensure that evacuation is carried out by lifts ). Similiarly I was educated on a lot of other aspects relating to Security.
I was not asked such outlandish questions even when I faced the interview for joining the Bank more than 16 years ago. I am still wondering which of the following was being tested :
1. Professional competence.
2. Traits of personality.
3. Ability to toe the line.
4. Reactions to hypothetical situations.
5. Keeping cool on being cornered.
6. Not getting flustered on being put on the defensive.
7. Fluency in telling lies.
8. The quality of piling it on -"you are absolutely right sir !!"
So my advice to those who will be facing the forthcoming interviews for promotion to Grade `B' is - do not waste time in studying for the interview as it will not serve you in any stead.

No comments: