Contact Info

E-Mail : nandanbisht@gmail.com
Mobile : +91-9910477009

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Height of Dereliction of Duty

I was on leave in India from 05 May to 11 June 2010. Proceeding on leave in peak summer is not my idea of fun. The same was necessary as I had to appear for my MA (Final) exam which was scheduled during this period. After the five written papers I was required to face the viva-voce which was held on 11 June 2010. I had to extend my leave because of this as I was told that facing the viva was compulsory and I would not get the degree in case I absented myself. The test was supposed to start at 1000 hrs sharp at the scheduled venue. I reached that place at 0930 hrs and approached the venue incharge to request that my viva may be held as early as possible as I had to leave for Delhi by road since I was catching the morning flight to Muscat the very next day.
Having been assured that I would be amongst the first lot to be tested I waited for the clock to strike ten. And what a wait it was !! Around 1000 hrs there was a sizable crowd of youngsters, some with relevant notes for last minute study and all anxious for the viva to begin. There was no sign of the examiner till 1030 hrs and we were told by the venue authorities that he would be arriving shortly. The same response was given at half hourly intervals till 1300 hrs when “his highness” finally arrived and promptly settled down for “chai –pani”.
By this time I was ready to climb the wall in sheer frustration as the taxi which I had booked for travel to Delhi had already arrived and my better half was in a state of panic. When my turn for the personal interface finally came I was cheesed to the core and the examiner had to bear the brunt of my ire. I do not think I will get good marks in the viva as it was a disaster – but what the hell – this was height of dereliction of duty. Now I know why some teachers get thrashed by their students. Sadly, the lot who patiently waited with me were very docile and I had to be satisfied by the tongue lashing which I gave the examiner. Needless to say that we reached Delhi very late and spent a sleepless night owing to packing and leaving for the airport very early. How we made it in the nick of time is another story !

1 comment:

Sujata said...

haha...this is seriously too funny uncle..u write so well!!