Contact Info

E-Mail : nandanbisht@gmail.com
Mobile : +91-9910477009

Monday, October 12, 2009

RBI ( and 'Lungar Gupp' ) Revisited !

I visited RBI, New Delhi on 22nd Sep and was overwhelmed by the reception I got from friends and colleagues. In addition to the officers and Class III staff, the way the Security Guards, Drivers and the Maintenance Staff greeted me was most touching. One day was not enough to meet everyone I knew so I went back again on 24th Sep and tried to complete the job. Reaching Bangalore on 5th October from Delhi I went to the Bank on 6th Oct and again was met by everyone with open arms. It felt as if I had never left the place when the usual 'man fridays' did some of my dirty jobs for me. Some snippets are as follows :
1. RIP - Anil Kumar. I was deeply saddened to learn that Anil Kumar, one of the drivers at RBI, New Delhi whom I knew very well had passed away in a road accident. Besides being an excellent driver and byke rider, he possessed a cheerful demeanour and was ever willing to shoulder additional responsibility. He was most dependable and would not hesitate to go out of his way to help others. I remember once when my 'Bullet' would not start owing to an electrical fault I was in a dillemma how to transport the byke to the service centre. I happened to mention this to Anil and he promptly came up with a solution. He volunteered to push my heavy byke with his left foot while riding his 'Yamaha RX 100' all the way from Vasant Vihar to Jhandewalan (a distance of approx 14 kms) - and that is exactly how we did it, much to the surprise of other road users . There are numerous other anecdotes which I can recount which will attest to Anil's generous nature. It was very disturbing to note that his byke was hit by a call centre cab from behind near Raj Ghat at night and he died on the spot owing to a head injury. May God grant his family the strength to bear this great loss. Rest in peace Anil !!
2. Callousness and Generosity. Yet another disconcerting event was learning about the plight of Maj Sanjay Avasthi who is bravely battling his debilitating disease. I learnt that he had to spend a lot of time at home on 'leave without pay' as the P&S Cell had no use for him. This, in my opinion, was a most callous thing to do to a brother officer. Thankfully, things changed for him when the present RD at New Delhi posted him at Sarojininagar to look after the VOF. I met Sanjay at his residence and found him to be a shadow of his former self. I shudder to think what would have happened were it not for the RD's generosity.
3. Foreign Training and Greener Pastures. I met Maj Rawat and was pleased to know that he was all set to proceed to UK for his stint with ARC training. He was in fact running around for his visa which had been delayed. Another guy was marking time waiting for a lucrative assignment to come through.
4. Visit to RBI, Bangalore. A jarring note at Bangalore was introduced into the proceedings by Goyal when he told me that the 'Banking Fraternity' had not taken kindly to the post 'Parting Shot' in my blog. I do not know what the hell the so called fraternity has to do with my blog. As to who they constitute was not elaborated upon by Goyal. Anyway, I have two words for them - one is a four letter word and the other has three !!
PS. Thats it for now. I will be visiting the Bank again before I leave this place on the 23rd for Muscat.

No comments: