Contact Info

E-Mail : nandanbisht@gmail.com
Mobile : +91-9910477009

Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Motorcycle Story -1 (The First Long Ride)

On 06 March 2019 me and my elder son left Noida for Dehradun on our bykes at around 1100 hrs. This was my first long ride on the Interceptor which had clocked just 100 kms or so till that date. My son was riding his KTM Duke 390. I was just a wee bit jittery as I was embarking on a long ride after nearly 14 years (having sold off my Bullet Machismo in 2005) and being used to the old Bullet which had it's rear brake on the left side. I had ridden bykes in the interim period on a few occasions but never for long distances.

The dealer had advised me not to exceed 60 kmph till the first free service at 500 kms. I had resolved to do just that, much to the chagrin of my elder son, who was riding a high revving machine and this limit would be tough to follow. I advised him to go at his own pace and he could wait for me to catch up at intervals. He did not pay heed to this advice and kept pace with me. Just after leaving Noida it took me 15-20 minutes to get used to the chaotic rush of traffic on the so-called highway leading to Dehradun. It was only when we hit the toll road bypassing Meerut that the ride became enjoyable. We knew that the going was good only till the toll road ended short of Roorkee, so we took the Muzzafaragar - Saharanpur toll road which is also very good and thus avoided the bad areas.

We had one short break for lunch midway and one break at the 'Daat Kali Temple' before entering Dehradun for performing a 'puja' and seeking the blessings of Goddess Durga. It is customary for residents of Doon valley to visit this temple with their new vehicles and perform the said ritual. We reached our house in Central Hope Town, Dehradun at 1830 hrs owing to the speed restriction and the two breaks. The journey was enjoyable and my jitters were totally unfounded as I had no problems negotiating the good, the bad and the ugly traffic scenarios which unfolded in this 270 km ride. Following are some pics of the said ride:

About to Resume the Journey after lunch at Haldiram's

                                                'Puja' being performed by the Panditji

                                                         Completion of the rituals

No comments: