Contact Info

E-Mail : nandanbisht@gmail.com
Mobile : +91-9910477009

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Muscat - First Impressions

1. I have started the ‘fourth innings’ of my career with the Saud Bahwan Group on 15 December 2008. I have not been able to catch up with my pending mails and I know that a lot of you guys must be wondering what’s up with me ! Well, the company has an induction programme which they conduct in right earnest and I am in the thick of it till 24th December after which I will be posted to my department. In addition to this, me and some other new appointees have been busy with a series of medicals - (company medical and then the all important ‘Ministry Medical’) After the report is found OK we will be required to get our fingerprints registered with the Ministry and then we get the ‘Civil Card’. This is the most important document without which one is NOT eligible to get even a telephone connection. The Govt here maintains a database of all the nationals as well as the expatriates. Commit a misdemeanour or a breach and one can be traced in no time and then it is cooling time in the clinker – no questions asked. Added to all this was the mandatory filling up of various forms etc. I am now ‘Code No. 21217’ in the company records.

2. With all this happening at a furious pace, I would say it is too early for me to form an opinion about this place. The one thing which struck me first was the fantastic condition of the roads lined with greenery and flowers and the speed at which vehicles ply on them. Despite the official limit of 100 kmph (and 120 kmph on some roads) everyone meticulously follows the rules of the road and is very disciplined. No honking and no overtaking – just follow the guy in front and make liberal use of ‘flashers’. Otherwise there would be a pileup at every crossing.

More later !!

No comments: